Monday, June 15, 2009

The piano bench vs. the idiot.

If you've been reading my blog, by now you know that I've got a lot of gumption. I'm a risk taker. You only have one life to live, and I'm going for it!

Here's a good example -- just happened to me yesterday morning: So I walk down the stairs and I see the piano bench in the middle of the living room -- perpendicular to the piano too by the way. Also, looks like the 4 year old had opened it, thrown the music books on the ground, closed it, and left the room.

Yes, I'm going to have to tidy things up here to be sure, but it's not going to be that easy. To put the sheet music away I need to open the piano bench, somehow, with insufficient information: I have no idea which side the hinges are on.

Sure, I can be a total weeny about it, play it safe, get down on my belly, peer up at the bottom of the bench to see what I'm dealing with -- but that's not how I roll.

In order to win in this world you have to be willing to put yourself into a position where losing is a distinct possibility. And that's exactly what I did. I walked up to the bench, manned up, put my hand under one side and pulled. The bench opened and the thrill of victory shot through me.

But Dan, I'm sure you'll ask, what if you had picked the hinged side? Of course we'll never truly know the answer to that one, but listen up and write this one down. You learn more from your mistakes than you ever would from when you're not mistaken. See, I set myself up for that kind of outcome. It's win/win either way for Dan Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment